Becoming Unemployed

It’s been 11 days since I left Quick Stop Photo as an employee.  If you’ve been living under a rock, or we don’t speak or know each other, I quit, voluntarily.  Some people are like “In this economy?”, yes in this economy.  I don’t want to sit here and bash my previous employer and give you the laundry list of what was wrong with my job.  I’ll just simply say that it was time for me to move on…for my own sanity.

I’ve worked in photo labs since I graduated from high school 7 years ago.  I thought I would be in the photographic industry forever, and eventually, maybe, one day own my own lab.  Photography is my first love, and my true passion.  But it is not what I’m supposed to do for life.  It took me a long time to come to that realization.  I loved working in a photo lab.  I loved knowing how the machines worked and printing my own photos.  Despite how excited I was to embark on this new unemployed adventure, I was actually pretty sad to leave.

I loved (some of) my co-workers.  My favorite part of the day was sitting around between 6 and 8 a.m., before the boss came in, bullshitting with Meghan Amy & Jeff.  I miss (some of) my customers.  The ones who took photos that inspired me.

I know I’ve made the right decision, no matter how scary it is.  I just miss it a little bit.

DSC_0197iThis is my printer, where I sat from the wee hour of 5:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

On my last day everyone had arranged a bit of a party for me.  There was lasagna for lunch, cake and pie and soda, a card everyone signed, and a banner made by Savanna, Jeff’s daughter who hung out at the store when school was out.  I felt pretty damn special.


A couple days before my last day I decided to chop off a lot of my hair.  I wanted something totally new, like my new employment status.



I love my new, short hair.

A couple days after my last day Rob and I went camping with Mike and Leah.  I’ll post photos from that tomorrow.

The day we got back from camping we came home to Rita, our chihuahua, acting incredibly bizarre.  She was spinning in circles, running into things, not responding to her name, not eating, and yelping as if in pain all the time.  We took her into the vet that afternoon and learned that her condition could be something that’s been suspected, in a way (in a joking manner because of the size of her head), for a while.  Hydrocephalus.  It’s a condition where there’s too much fluid in or around the brain.  If you’ve ever met Rita, then you know about her gigantic head and maybe even her soft spot, usually referred to as an open fontanel.  The vet said it could be hydrocephalus or just a head trauma.  The only way to 100% know if it is hydrocephalus would be to have a catscan or MRI done, and neither of those things are things we can afford.  The vet put her on prednisone to decrease the swelling and hopefully that would be a temporary fix.  And it worked.  By the next day she was eating again and not running in circles.  And here we are a week later and she’s pretty much back to normal.  We are so lucky that she’s responded so well to the prednisone.  We just have to be more cautious of her giant head and make sure she doesn’t knock it around.  I had previously joked with the vet about making a helmet for her, and didn’t think that was necessary.  When he called to check on her a couple of days later he said I maybe I should look into fashioning a little helmet for her.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s